Saturday, May 31, 2014

Diary of a Crohn’s Flare: How things progress



Because Remicade shuts down the body’s ability to fight certain illnesses and tumors, my physician wrote orders to screen for some of these diseases.  The screens required to for starting Remicade included the following for me:


  • Chest x-ray (looking for Tuberculosis, Histoplasmosis, and Hepatitus)
  • Blood screen for hepatitis
  • Blood screen for Tuberculosis
  • Skin test for Tuberculosis


I’ve gotten the results from all but the last of these and they were all negative.

I will get the results of my TB skin test tomorrow.  Today the site looks negative.

Because I also have a history of a high PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) and I also spent 6 years as a life guard, I also arranged to speak to my urologist and a dermatologist about my concerns.

The urologist stated that he had no qualms about me starting the biologicals.  He felt that the risks were minimal and he encouraged me to start the treatment.

The dermatologist inspected my moles and found several that required closer examination.  One in particular was worrisome but didn’t require immediate action.  She recommended that my wife inspect the mole on a monthly basis and that the dermatologist inspect them again in a year.  We made a follow-up appointment for it.  However, she also encouraged me to begin treatment and found no reason to postpone treatment.

On Monday I’ll get my CT scan.  I should get the radiologists report from that scan by Tuesday.  If all goes well, I could be eligible to start the Remicade at that time.  If so, then it’ll be a simple matter of scheduling the first infusion.  I hope to get the first infusion within a week of approval.  However, I have no experience with the infusion centers and don’t know how long it normally takes from scheduling to getting an infusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment